Fort Simmons (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in Montgomery County, Maryland. Named Fort Simmons in GO 83, 1 Apr 1863, after Colonel Seneca G. Simmons, (Cullum 771), Pennsylvania Volunteers (major 4th U.S. Infantry), who was killed 30 Jun 1862, at the battle of Glendale. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Simmons
One of the ring of Union fortifications surrounding Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War, see Washington DC Fort Ring.
Established in November-December 1861 as an earthen work with a perimeter of 177 yards and emplacements for eight guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Simmons, Lieut. Col. Thomas H. Talbot commanding.–Garrison, two companies (Third Battalion) First Maine Heavy Artillery-1 lieutenant-colonel, 9 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 289 men. Armament, two 12-pounder field howitzers, one 8-inch siege howitzer, five 30-pounder Parrotts. Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable. Drill in artillery, ordinary; needs improving. Drill in infantry, very indifferent; needs much improving. Discipline, indifferent. Garrison is not full strength."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains and no markers.