Fort Shelby (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Shelby (2) (1814-1815) - A U.S. Army post established in 1814 during the War of 1812 by Lt. Joseph Perkins, 7th U.S. Infantry on St. Feriole Island in present day Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin. Named for Isaac Shelby, Governor of Kentucky. Attacked and captured by a force of British-Canadians on 20 Jul 1814. The British-Canadians renamed the fort, Fort McKay, for Major William McKay, the British-Canadian Commander. The British-Canadians abandoned the fort at the end of the war in 1815.
Fort Shelby (2) History
Established as a two blockhouse fortification in June 1814 by Lt. Joseph Perkins, 7th U.S. Infantry. The fort was attacked by a British-Canadian force and bombarded with 3-pounder cannon for three days before Lt. Perkins surrendered the garrison on 20 Jul 1814. No lives were lost in the siege and the Americans were allowed to depart for St. Louis. The British-Canadians occupied the Fort and renamed it Fort McKay for Major William McKay, their Commander. They abandoned and destroyed the fort at the end of the war in 1815.
Reconstructed blockhouse at Villa Louis Historic Site on St. Feriole Island, Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin
Location: Villa Louis, St. Feriole Island, Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin. Map point is the reconstructed blockhouse.
Maps & Images
Lat: 43.05753 Long: -91.15972
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 350
- North American Forts - Fort Shelby
- Wikipedia - Fort Shelby
- "Fort Shelby and Fort McKay" (Ch. 5 of Mahan, Old Fort Crawford (1): an account of the operations at the two forts in the War of 1812)
- Wikipedia - Siege of Prairie du Chien
Fort Shelby (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!