Fort Severn (1808-1865) - A U.S Army Second System coastal fort established in 1808 in near Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland. Transferred to the Navy in 1845 and regarrisoned by the U.S. Army in 1861, abandoned in 1865.
Fort Severn History
Fort Severn was built out as a circular masonry structure enclosed by a 14 foot stone wall. The fort mounted some eight to twelve cannons on a platform just below the parapets. At the center of the enclosure was a brick magazine. The post was located on the south bank of the Severn River at Windmill point.
On 15 Aug 1845 the U.S. Army transferred the site of Fort Severn to the U.S. Navy for use as the U.S. Navy School (now the United States Naval Academy). Structures transferred to the Navy included the Fort, the Commander's Quarters, officer quarters, enlisted barracks, a hospital and support buildings. The U.S. Army garrisoned the fort during the U.S. Civil War and abandoned it at the end of the war.
The United States Naval Academy used the post until it was demolished in 1909. The former site is now occupied by Bancroft Hall.
Site is a part of the United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, Anne Arundel County, Maryland.
Fort Severn Picture Gallery