Fort Sellers (1756-1760s) - A French & Indian War Fort established in 1756 near Patterson Creek, Mineral County, West Virginia. Named Fort Sellers after Thomas Sellers on or near whose land it was built. Abandoned in 1760s.
History of Fort Sellers
Established in 1756 as a small stockade on the east side of Patterson's Creek in Mineral County, West Virginia. George Washington surveyed this land in 1748 for Elias Sellers. The fort was reportedly erected by George Washington on or near land owned by Thomas Sellers.
The fort was garrisoned in 1756 with one officer and thirty men. The garrison repelled an attack by French and Indians that same year.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1760s.
Marker only on WV Hwy 28.
Visited: 31 May 2016