Fort Schuyler (5)
Fort Schuyler (5) (1758-1760) - A colonial French & Indian War Fort established in 1758 near Utica, Oneida County, New York. Named Fort Schuyler after Colonel Peter Schuyler of New Jersey. Abandoned as a fortification in 1760. Also known as Fort Desolation and Old Fort Schuyler.
History of Fort Schuyler (5)
Established in 1758 as small timber and earthworks fortification toward the end of the French & Indian War in present day Utica, New York.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1760 but may have been used intermittently during the Revolutionary War and known then as Fort Desolation. On 6 Aug 1777 the wounded General Herkimer was brought to Fort Schuyler after the Battle of Oriskany. The wounded were put into boats and sent down the Mohawk River to Fort Herkimer.
Two monument stones and one wall mounted marker are located in Bagg Commemorative Park in Utica.
Visited: 17 Jun 2016