Fort Saratoga (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1861 in Northeast Washington DC. Named Fort Saratoga in G.O. 18, 30 Sep 1861. The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Established in August 1861 as a lunette with a stockaded gorge and a perimeter of 154 yards and emplacements for eight guns. Fort Saratoga was situated between Fort Bunker Hill (1) and Fort Thayer in the defensive ring around Washington DC.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Saratoga, Capt. Andrew Fagan commanding.–Garrison, withdrawn; works guarded by Battery H, First Pennsylvania Artillery, from Camp Barry–1 ordnance-sergeant. Armament, six 32-pounder barbette, one 8-inch siege howitzer, one Coehorn mortar. Magazines, one; dry and in good condition. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, complete and serviceable."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.