Fort Sanderson (1840-1841) - A U.S. Army post established in 1840 during the Second Seminole War by 2nd Lt. C. Hanson, 7th U.S. Infantry, near present day Middleburg, Clay County, Florida. Named for Lieutenant James S. Sanderson, who was killed by hostile Seminole Indians on 19 May 1840 at the Battle of Bridgewater, Florida. Abandoned in 1841.
Fort Sanderson History
Fort Sanderson was established on 12 Jul 1840 near old Garey's Ferry and Fort Heileman close to present day Middleburg, Florida.
Company D left Fort Holmes (3) E. Fla. the 12th July 1840 and arrived at Fort Heileman E. Fla. on the same day. By order of Col D.E. Twiggs Comdg East Dist of Florida a position has been assigned to the company near Gary's Ferry E. F. and the Post established has been called Fort Sanderson.1
1 From the 7th Infantry Monthly Return for July 1840
Fort Sanderson was abandoned on 1 Feb 1841.
No remains, Clay County, Florida