Fort San Nicholas
Fort San Nicholas (1740-1817) - A Spanish Colonial fort established in 1740 by Governor Manuel de Montiano in present day Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida. Abandoned in 1817.
Fort San Nicholas History
A Spanish Colonial blockhouse fort established in 1740 by Governor Manuel de Montiano in anticipation of an attack from the English under James Oglethorpe. The blockhouse was located at a strategic crossing of the St. John's river and remained in use until the British occupied Florida in 1763.
The British may or may not have garrisoned the fort during their 20 year occupation of Florida between 1763 and 1784. The Spanish returned in 1784, refurbished the blockhouse and added a 100 foot square moat around it. In 1796, John H. McIntosh captured and destroyed the fort as revenge for the Spanish appropriations of his property. The fort was rebuilt only to be destroyed again during the Patriots War and rebuilt after that. The Spanish abandoned the fort on 4 Jul 1817 according to the marker.
After the Spanish ceded Florida to the U.S. in 1821 the old fort was used by the Americans as a customs house and to prevent smuggling.
Marker only in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida. The marker is located in the median of Atlantic Blvd. at White Avenue. The fort site is indicated, on the marker, as being 1530' north of the marker, shown by the fort map point.
Visited: Locale 25 Feb 2012