Fort San Bernardino
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort San Bernardino (1851-1857) - A Mormon settlers fort first established in 1851 in present day San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, California. Abandoned in 1857. Also known as Mormon Camp and Mormon Stockade.
History of Fort San Bernardino
Established in 1851 by Mormon settlers as a 12 foot high stockade surrounding the town. The perimeter measured 300' by 720' in the area now occupied by the county courthouse. Army troops were briefly stationed here in 1855. The fort was abandoned as a fortification in 1857 when the majority of Mormons were recalled to Utah during the Mormon War.
Markers only in the city of San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, California.
Location: San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, California. Map point is marker location in front of courthouse.
Maps & Images
Lat: 34.1050799 Long: -117.2894436
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 86-87
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 33
Fort San Bernardino Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!