Fort Saint Louis (1)
Fort Saint Louis (1) (1685-1689) - A French post established in 1685 by explorer Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle in present-day Victoria County, Texas. The fort was wiped out by hostile Indians in 1689 and abandoned.
Fort Saint Louis was established in 1685 by French explorer Rene Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle. His expedition brought 180 French colonists to the mouth of Garcitas Creek on Matagorda Bay in February 1685. The colony later moved five miles up the creek to a more favorable location on the west bank. One of La Salle's two ships was wrecked in the initial landing and the other had returned to France for additional help. The wrecked supply ship furnished some materials for the colonists and they struggled to build crude buildings.
La Salle left the colony after two years to continue his exploration and seek help for the remaining colonists. Only 50 colonists were still alive when La Salle departed in January 1687. La Salle was killed by mutineers and help never arrived for the colonists. Two years after La Salle departed, the colony was wiped out by hostile Indians and only two survivors managed to find their way to the French settlement at Arkansas Post.
The Spanish found the remains of La Salle's post, burned it, and buried the eight cannons that had been salvaged from the wrecked supply ship. In later years the Spanish established the Presidio Nuestra Senora de Loreto de la Bahia over the site of Fort Saint Louis. The buried French cannons and thousands of French and Spanish artifacts were later dug up from the common site by archeologists.
On Private Property, Victoria County, Texas. The map point is approximate.
Visited: 8 Dec 2011