Fort Saint Joseph (1)
Fort Saint Joseph (1) (1686-1688) - A French Colonial Fort established in 1686 as a fur trading post by Daniel Greysolon Dulhut in present day Port Huron, St. Clair County, Michigan. Abandoned and destroyed in 1688.
Established in 1686 by Daniel Greysolon Dulhut to block British traders from trading in the upper Great Lakes. The post was built at the head of the St. Clair River in present day Port Huron by a force of some 50 men from Fort Michilimackinac (2). Dulhut departed the fort in 1687 and his successor Louis Armand de Lom d'Arce decided that the fort was not worth maintaining. d'Arce abandoned and burned the fort 27 Aug 1688 and moved the garrison to Fort de Buade.
The fort site later became a part of Fort Gratiot in 1814.
Marker only in Gratiot Park on Gratiot Ave. at Church Street in Port Huron, St. Clair County, Michigan