Fort Red Clay
Fort Red Clay (1838-1838) - A Trail of Tears Cherokee removal fort first established in 1838 in Cleveland, Bradley County, Tennessee. Abandoned in 1838.
History of Fort Red Clay
Red Clay was the site of the last Cherokee Nation capital after it was moved from New Echota, Georgia. It became a gathering point for the Cherokee removal in 1838 and a stockade was probably built here for the removals.
Abandoned in 1838 after the removal.
No remains of the fort at the park site.
Visited: 29 Apr 2016