Fort Raymond (2)
Fort Raymond (2) (1942-1945) - A U.S. Army Fort established in 1942 during World War II in Seward, Kenai Peninsula Borough, Alaska. Named for Captain Charles W. Raymond, U.S. Corps of Engineers. Abandoned in 1945.
Fort Raymond (2) History
Part of the Harbor Defense of Seward.
Fort Raymond was established in 1942 to provide a garrison for Seward and the Seward harbor defenses. The post was built out with temporary wartime construction that included quonset huts and CCC type buildings to house 171 officers and 3,278 enlisted troops.
An additional Army dock was added and the city San Juan dock was rehabilitated to accommodate all the materials coming in for the construction of the harbor defenses. Fuel and Ordnance storage areas were constructed as a part of the post. The cost of the post and the harbor defenses was estimated at $6,641,495 by the engineers.
The Seward Harbor Defenses were discontinued in March 1944. The defenses were disarmed and the materials were packed up and shipped out quickly. The garrison was shipped out and the post was abandoned in 1945.
The post buildings were sold off and several were moved into the town.
Some remaining buildings relocated in Seward, Alaska.