Fort Pownall (1759-1775) - A colonial fort established in 1759 during the French & Indian War by Governor Thomas Pownall in present day Stockton Springs, Waldo County, Maine. Named after Massachusetts Governor Thomas Pownall. Abandoned in 1775.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
Established in 1759 by Massachusetts Governor Thomas Pownall (this part of Maine belonged to Massachusetts at that time) and 400 men at this strategic point on the Penobscot River. Governor Pownall was accompanied by 63 year old Brigadier General Samuel Waldo (for whom Waldo County is named) who died of apoplexy on the expedition and who was buried at the site of the fort. Waldo's body was later moved to King's Chapel burying ground in Boston.
The fort was built as a star shaped earthworks with a blockhouse at the center surrounded by a deep ditch. The blockhouse was two stories high and 44 feet square armed with 10 or 12 cannons in the upper story. The lower floor of the blockhouse served as the barracks. The officer's quarters were located outside the fortification close to the bank of the river.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
At the beginning of the Revolutionary War in 1775 the British seized Fort Pownall and removed the cannons and powder. The Patriots later occupied the fort, burned down the blockhouse and filled in the ditch to prevent the British from using the fort against them.
Part of Fort Point State Park, Stockton Springs, Waldo County, Maine
Visited: 16 Jun 2012