Fort Pocahontas (2)
Fort Pocahontas (2) (1864-1865) - A U.S. Army earthworks fort established in 1864 during the U.S. Civil War by General Edward A. Wild in Charles City County, Virginia. Abandoned in 1865. Also known as Works at Wilson's Wharf or Landing.
Fort Pocahontas (2) History
Established on 5 May 1864 by General Edward A. Wild and elements of the 1st US Colored Troops and 10th US Colored Troops. The fort was located at a strategic bend in the James River at the Wilson farmstead. Construction began on a large earthwork that took advantage of the terrain and was backed by the James River. The earthwork was surrounded by an 8 foot wide ditch that was 5 to 6 foot deep. Protruding bastions were built on the right and left ends of the front and armed with cannon. Union gunboats provided support from the James River.
Construction was not complete when the first Confederate attack came. The fort was attacked by troops under General Fitzhugh Lee on 24 May 1864 and included 2500 Confederated Cavalry. The attack continued until 6 pm when the Confederates broke it off and the battle ended.
Union forces continued to hold the fort until it was abandoned in June 1865.
Private Property, Charles City County, Virginia. A yearly reenactment is held in May and public access is allowed to reenactment events. The 2014 reenactment will be on the 150 anniversary of the battle.
Visited: 14 May 2013