Fort Pickering (1)
Fort Pickering (1) (1794-1900) - A First System fortification established in 1794 on the site of a previous fortification named Fort William on Winter Island in Essex County, Massachusetts. Named for Colonel Timothy Pickering, adjutant general of the Continental Army and secretary of War in 1795. Abandoned in 1900. Also known briefly as Fort Ann.
Fort Pickering (1) History
Part of Winter Island Marine Park, Winter Island, Essex County, Massachusetts. The remaining earthworks, moat and magazines are from the U.S. Civil War era rebuild of the fort. Parking fee.
Visited: 6 Jun 2012