Fort Pepperrell (2)
Fort Pepperrell (2) (1941-1961) - A United States World War II Fort first established as Camp Alexander in 1941 in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. Named Fort Pepperrell after Sir William Pepperrell (1696–1759) of Kittery, Maine who captured Fortress of Louisbourg on 16 Jun 1745. Transferred to the United States Air Force and renamed Pepperrell Air Force Base in 1947. Abandoned by the U.S. in 1961.
World War II (1941-1945)
Established in 1941 as Camp Alexander while Fort Pepperrell was under construction. U.S. troops arrived aboard the transport ship Edmund B. Alexander (formerly the ocean liner America) in January 1941 and remained quartered on board until they occupied Camp Alexander in May 1941. The camp had facilities for about 1000 troops and was used as the cantonment area until the barracks for Fort Pepperrell were completed late in 1941. The camp was dismantled after the barracks were occupied. The base's permanent structures were not completed until March 1943 because it was initially designed for 3,500 troops but that capacity was increased to 5,500 troops early in 1942.
During the war Fort Pepperrell provided protection and logistics support for the U.S. assets that included sea coast defenses, Torbay Airfield, St. John's Harbor and other surrounding facilities that came under the Newfoundland Base Command.
Cold War (1947-1991)
After the end of World War II Fort Pepperrell continued to operate at reduced levels. In 1947, after the Air Force was created as a separate service, Fort Pepperrell officially became Pepperrell Air Force Base.
Pepperrell AFB became the headquarters for the newly formed Northeast Air Command (NEAC) on 1 Oct 1951. The 64th Air Division was activated at Pepperrell AFB In the spring of 1952 and the 152nd Aircraft Control and Warning Group was assigned to it. A temporary Air Defense Direction Center (ADDC) was established at Red Cliff Air Station until a permanent facility was finished at White Hills. The direction center mission terminated at Red Cliff AS on 26 May 1955.
NEAC was inactivated In 1957 and Pepperrell AFB became headquarters for the Air Defence Command's 64th Air Division. Phase out of the base started in 1958. On 11 Aug 1961 Pepperrell Air Force Base was officially closed.