Fort Pentagoet (1635-1734) - Established in 1635 as a French colonial fort on the site of previous settlements at the edge of French Acadia. Captured by the British in 1654 and named Fort Penobscot (1) . Returned to the French by treaty in 1670. Retaken by the British in 1688 and again returned by treaty. Seized in 1722 by the British who destroyed the Fort and subsequently abandoned the site as a fortification in 1734. Also known as Fort Castine (3).
Markers and some archeological relics. At the site and on the grounds of Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church in Castine.
Location: Our Lady of Hope Catholic Church at 131 Perkins St., Castine, Hancock County, Maine.
Maps & Images
Lat: 44.384706 Long: -68.80328
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 369
Visited: 28 Jun 2012
Fort Pentagoet Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!