Fort Payne (1)
Fort Payne (1) (1838-1838) - A U.S. Army post established by Captain John C. Payne in 1838 during the Cherokee Removal period in DeKalb County, Alabama. Named for Captain John C. Payne who commanded the fort. Abandoned in October 1838.
Fort Payne History
Site established in February 1838 by Captain John C. Payne and built by Captain James H. Rogers and 22 men from the Alabama Militia as a stockaded log house to oversee the Cherokee Removal. Construction began on 13 Apr 1838 and the post was garrisoned by Alabama Militia between April and October of 1838 while the Cherokee Removal took place. The last group of 1,103 Cherokees left 3 Oct 1838 for the 800 mile journey to the Indian Territory (Oklahoma) and the fort was abandoned.
A marker is located in the city center park with directions to the actual site. On the actual site a fireplace and chimney still exist along with a period well.
Visited: 4 May 2016