Fort Panbian (1797-1815) - A North West Company fur trading post established in 1797 in present day Pembina, Pembina County, North Dakota. Burned down and abandoned in 1815. Also known as Chaboillez Post.
History of Fort Panbian
Established in 1797 as a North West Company fur trading post by Charles Bapiste Chaboillez in 1797 and was reputed to be the first fur trading post in North Dakota. The post was located on the south side of the Pembina River where it enters the Red River just below the present day U.S.-Canada Border. Fort Daer would later (1812) be located nearby.
This was a small rough camp that usually traded rum for furs and typically brought in only about four full canoe loads of furs in a season.
Burned down and abandoned in 1815.
No visible remains. Marker on the site.
Visited: 28 Jul 2016