Fort Newnan (1838-1838) - A Trail of Tears Cherokee removal fort first established in 1838 in Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia. Named Fort Newnan after Major General Daniel Newnan, Georgia Secretary of State (1825-1827) and U.S. Congressman (1831-1833). Abandoned later in 1838. Also known as Post at Sanders.
History of Fort Newnan
Established in March of 1838 by reverend and Captain John Dorsey and his mounted company of 64 men. Dorsey's company was once described as a "complete mob" and he resisted orders to abandon the post and turn over government property after the removal. The company was finally mustered out on 30 Jun 1838.
The remnants of the Cherokee Nation were rounded up in 1838 by Federal forces and Georgia Militia and pressed into military stockades for eventual removal to reservations in the western Indian Territory. U.S. General Winfield Scott oversaw the operation but lacked control over the militia units. Some 7,000 U.S. Soldiers and Georgia Militia forced some 15,000 Cherokee Indians into stockades and held them for removal. The condition were terrible in the stockades and on the trail to the Indian Territory and many of the Cherokees died before reaching the new reservations. As many as 4,000 Cherokees may have died in the stockades and on the 800 mile journey west. The removal process and the conditions of removal came to be known as the "Trail of Tears".
This post abandoned about 4 Jul 1838.
Trail of Tears marker in Talking Rock, Pickens County, Georgia.