Fort Nelson (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Nelson (2) (1781-1784) - A patriot Revolutionary War Fort established in 1781 by Captain Richard Chenoweth in present day Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky (then in Virginia). Named for Thomas Nelson, Governor of Virginia (1781). Abandoned about 1784.
Fort Nelson (2) History
Established on a one acre site along the Ohio River between present day 7th and 9th Streets and from Main Street to the river in Louisville, Kentucky.
A granite monument at the northwest corner of 7th and Main Street in Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky.
Location: Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky. Map point is granite monument location.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.257317 Long: -85.761568
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 317-318
Fort Nelson (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!