Fort Nelson (1)
Fort Nelson (1) (1776-1779, 1794-1824) - A patriot post established in 1776 during the Revolutionary War in Portsmouth City, Virginia. Named for General Thomas Nelson, governor of Virginia. The Fort was attacked 9 May 1779 and burned down. Rebuilt at another location in 1794 and abandoned in 1824.
Fort Nelson (1) History
The Fort was attacked on 9 May 1779 by a combined British land and sea expedition. The Fort's garrison abandoned the Fort before the attack. The British burned down the fort and made off with the armament and supplies.
The fort was rebuilt on a different site in 1794. The new site was opposite Fort Norfolk on the west side of the harbor. The new fort was a bastioned earthwork with two batteries of 24-pounder cannons in embrasures. The Fort was reconstructed starting in 1802 of earth lined with brick from a design by noted architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe. The cannon were removed from the embrasures and mounted along the parapet.
The Fort was abandoned 1824.
During the U.S. Civil War the fort was occupied by Confederate forces until the fall of Norfolk.
Portsmouth Naval Hospital grounds, Portsmouth City, Virginia
Location: Portsmouth Naval Hospital, Portsmouth City, Virginia.
Maps & Images
Lat: 36.8479258 Long: -76.3029967
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 818-819
Fort Nelson (1) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!