Fort Negley (2)
Fort Negley (2) (1863-1864) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1863 in Chattanooga, Hamilton County, Tennessee. Initially named Fort Phelps in 1863 for Colonel Edward H. Phelps, 38th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, killed at Missionary Ridge. Renamed Fort Negley in 1864. Abandoned in 1864.
History of Fort Negley
Established in 1863 during the Union occupation of Chattanooga as a large earthwork enclosing a city block with high walls and a central magazine. Surrounded with deep and wide ditches. Situated on the outer line of the Union Chattanooga defenses. Shown on Union plans with two magazines, an internal blockhouse and mounting 10 light cannons (seven 8-inch Rodman guns and three 12-pound Whitworth guns.) Abandoned in 1864.
No remains and no known markers. The site is indicated as bounded by East Main Street, East 17th Street, Mitchell Street, Read Ave. and Rossville Avenue. The site was leveled about 1885 and is now overbuilt with houses.
Visited: 2 May 2016