Fort Munson

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort Munson (1861-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 by Confederate forces in Fairfax County, Virginia. Named Fort Munson after Daniel O. Munson, owner of the property. Abandoned in 1865.

General M'Clellan At Munson's Hill, Fort Munson in the Background

History of Fort Munson

Seven Corners Civil War Fortifications


Established in July 1861 after the Union loss at the First Battle of Manassas as a Confederate earthworks fort at the top of Munson's Hill in present day Fairfax County. The fort had a direct overview of Bailey’s Crossroads directly below it which remained in Union hands. The fort also had a direct view into the city of Washington DC and the Confederates raised a large Confederate flag high over the post in plain view of the residents of Washington. Also in plain view were a number mounted cannon and a lot of activity around the post night and day.

As Union forces regrouped the Confederates abandoned Fort Munson on 28 Sep 1861. Union forces occupied the fort and discovered that the cannons were fakes made from logs and known as Quaker Cannons. Union forces occupied the fort until the end of the war in 1865.

Current Status

No remains and no markers found. The site is said to be at the highest point on Munson Hill now over built with modern buildings.


Location: Seven Corners, Fairfax County, Virginia. Map point is approximate.

Maps & Images

Lat: 38.86026 Long: -77.14507

See Also:

Sources:

Links:

Visited: 2 Jun 2016


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Toolbox