Fort Mulligan (1)
This fort was constructed between August and December of 1863, by Union troops commanded by Colonel James A. Mulligan. The fort was built to provide protection for the surrounding valley against Confederate forces and to provide an auxiliary supply depot for Union operations in the area. The fort site had been the site of previous temporary fortifications in 1861 and 1862.
This was a large earthworks fortification with the inner walls lined with timbers and an abatis providing an additional protective barrier around the outer ditch. The remains of the fort indicate that it may have had three entrances and at least seven gun emplacement and four bombproofs.
Union Colonel Joseph Thoburn evacuated the fort on 31 Jan 1864 in the face of an impending attack by Confederate General Jubal Early. For the remainder of 1864 and 1865 raids continued in the area but Fort Mulligan was not garrisoned again.
Significant remains of this earthworks fortification with at least 9 on-site markers along an interpretive trail. Display cannons on site.