Fort Mose History
On 15 Mar 1738 the Spanish Governor of Florida established a fortified community for escaped slaves from the British Colonies to the north. This placed additional hardship on the English plantation owners and resulted in a military expedition by British General James Oglethorpe against Fort Mose and St. Augustine. The attack came against Fort Mose in May 1740 with a large force of soldiers, Indians and ships. After a fierce battle, Fort Mose was captured by the British and they moved forward to lay siege to St. Augustine. The siege was unsuccessful and the Spanish succeeded in retaking Fort Mose on 26 Jun 1740 and they destroyed it. The British invasion force departed and their later return was thwarted by the additional fortification at Fort Matanzas. The freedmen rebuilt the community and the fortifications by 1752 but were forced to abandon both when the Spanish ceded Florida to the British in the Treaty of Paris (2). Most of the freedmen fled to Cuba with many of the remaining Spanish in Florida.
The British occupied Florida and Fort Mose for twenty years until the Treaty of Paris (1783) ended the American Revolution and returned Florida to the Spanish. The British had dismantled Fort Mose in 1775 and it was only used occasionally in the following years.
A Florida State Historic Site, no remains. Site can be viewed from a distance from a catwalk over the marsh. No period guns or mounts in place.
Visited: 16 Jan 2010