Fort Morton (4)
Fort Morton (4) (1864-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1864 near Petersburg, Petersburg City, Virginia. Named Fort Morton after Union Major (Brevet Brigadier-General) James St. Clair Morton, (Cullum 1495), who was killed by a sharpshooter in July 1864. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort Morton
Established in July 1864 as a part of the union seige line around Confederate Petersburg, Virginia. Built as an earthworks fort mounting fourteen cannons overlooking the site of the "Crater" just west of the fort. From Fort Morton, Union forces mined an area directly under the Confederate lines and set off a large explosion that created a huge crater in the middle of those lines. Union forces then charged into the crater hoping to breach the Confederate lines. The crater walls proved too steep and the Union soldiers were trapped and slaughtered as Confederate soldiers fired down on them from above.
Fort Morton was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Part of the Petersburg National Battlefield Park, markers and remains of earthworks and five field mounted cannons.
Visited: 2 Apr 2012