Fort Morton (2)
Fort Morton (2) (1861-1865) - A U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in present day Arlington County, Virginia. Named Fort Morton probably after Bvt. Brigadier General James St. Clair Morton, (Cullum 1495), who was killed at Petersburg 17 Jun 1864. Abandoned in 1865.
History of Fort Morton (2)
Fort Morton was also one of 33 forts on the Virginia side of the Potomac River that made up an outer defense line for Washington DC known as the Arlington Line.
Established in August 1861 as a gun battery. Stockaded after 1863 with a perimeter of 250 yards and emplacements for 17 guns. Armament included six 12 pounder Napoleon guns.
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, marker only in Arlington County, Virginia. Site is now on the site of Key Elementary School, near 16th Street and North Custis Road.