Fort Morgan (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Morgan (2) (1865-1868) - A U.S. Army post established in 1865 in the present day city of Fort Morgan, Morgan County, Colorado. Named for Major Christopher A. Morgan, 1st Illinois Cavalry, who established Fort Morgan. Abandoned in 1868 after the completion of the railroad to Denver. Also known as Camp Tyler, Fort Wardwell, Post of Junction and Post of Junction Station.
Fort Morgan (2) History
A U.S. Army post established 1 Jul 1865 by Major Christopher A. Morgan, 1st Illinois Cavalry, in the present day city of Fort Morgan, Morgan County, Colorado. Established to protect emigrant wagon trains and the Overland Stage route. The post was built mostly of sod reinforced with logs and was not upgraded with more substantial buildings until 1866.
The post was abandoned in 1868 after the completion of the railroad to Denver. The post buildings were sold at auction and the garrison moved to Fort Laramie.
A marker only in a small City Park in the city of Fort Morgan, Morgan County, Colorado. A model of the fort and some artifacts are located in a museum adjacent to the city library.
Location: City of Fort Morgan, Morgan County, Colorado.
Maps & Images
Lat: 40.261156 Long: -103.798871
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 111
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 45
Visited: 29 Sep 2011
Fort Morgan (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!