|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Mojave (1859-1890) - First established in 1859 by Major William Hoffman (Cullum 558), 6th U.S. Infantry, as Camp Colorado (1), in Mohave County, Arizona. Renamed Fort Mojave later in 1859 by Captain Lewis A. Armistead, 6th U.S. Infantry. Abandoned in 1890. Also known as Camp Mojave and by the alternative spellings of Camp Mohave and Fort Mohave.
Fort Mojave History
First established on 19 Apr 1859 on the emigrant trail to California at Beal's Crossing on the Colorado River. Major William Hoffman, 6th U.S. Infantry, established the post to protect the crossing and the trail and to control hostile Mohave and Paiute Indians. Captain Lewis A. Armistead, 6th U.S. Infantry assumed command of the post and renamed it Fort Mojave on 28 Apr 1859. The post was originally supplied from New San Diego Depot at San Diego.
U.S. Civil War (1861-1865)
The post was abandoned 31 May 1861 and the garrison was moved to Los Angeles to counter Confederate sympathies in southern California. The post was re-garrisoned by two companies of California Volunteers (Union) on 19 May 1863 and re-named Camp Mojave. On 5 Apr 1879 the post was redesignated Fort Mojave.
The post was turned over to the Fort Mojave Indian reservation on 29 Sep 1890 for use as an Indian School.
The Indian School was closed in 1935 and the buildings were demolished in 1941-1942.
Location: Beal's Crossing, Mohave County, Arizona. Map point is approximate.
Maps & Images
Lat: 35.0430565 Long: -114.6224659
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 43
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 11-12
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 15
Fort Mojave Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!