|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Miller (1851-1858) (1863-1864) - Originally established as Fort Miller in 1851 during the California Gold Rush by 2nd Lt. Treadwell Moore (Cullum 1356), 2nd U.S. Infantry. Abandoned in June 1858. Reoccupied in 1863 during the U.S. Civil War by Lt. Colonel James W. Olney, 2nd California Volunteer Infantry. The California Volunteers departed Fort Miller in December 1864
Fort Miller History
Reoccupied during the U.S. Civil War on 22 Aug 1863 by Lt. Colonel James W. Olney and Companies A & K, 2nd California Volunteer Infantry after a 130 mile march from Stockton. The California Volunteers departed Fort Miller in December 1864. The last post return is dated September 1864.
|1851-05-26||1851-12-17||2nd Lt.||Moore, Treadwell M.||1356||Company K, 2nd U.S. Infantry|
|1851-12-17||1852-02-07||Captain||Lyon, Nathaniel||1069||Company B, 2nd U.S. Infantry|
|1852-02-07||1852-06||1st Lt.||Moore, Treadwell M.||1356||Company B, 2nd U.S. Infantry|
|Patten, George W.||622||Company K, 2nd U.S. Infantry|
|Wessells, Henry W.||735||Company G, 2nd U.S. Infantry|
|1854-04-05||1854-06-21||2nd Lt.||Wright, Thomas||1425||Company G, 2nd U.S. Infantry|
|1854-06-21||1854-07-10||1st Lt.||Castor, Thomas F.||1299||Company A, 1st U.S. Dragoons|
|1854-07-10||1855-11-19||1st Lt.||Loeser, Lucien||1136||Company K, 3rd U.S. Artillery|
|1855-11-19||1856-07-25||1st Lt.||Stewart, Joseph||1128||Company K, 3rd U.S. Artillery|
|1856-07-25||1857-01-12||1st Lt.||Loeser, Lucien||1136||Company K, 3rd U.S. Artillery|
|1857-01-12||1858-03-01||1st Lt.||Livingston, La Rhett S.||1597||Company K, 3rd U.S. Artillery|
|1858-03-01||1858-06||Captain||Ord, Edward O. C.||1002||Company K, 3rd U.S. Artillery|
|1863-08-22||1864-09-04||Lt. Colonel||Olney, James W.||N/A||2nd California Volunteer Infantry|
|1864-09-04||1864-09-29||Colonel||Lippitt, Francis J.||N/A||2nd California Volunteer Infantry|
|1864-09-29||1864-10-??||Captain||Flynn, Henry||N/A||Company A, 2nd California Volunteer Infantry|
|Dates are formatted in yyyy-mm-dd to sort correctly.|
The Cullum Number is the graduation order from the United States Military Academy by year and class rank and links to a page for the officer on the website version of the Cullum Register. Listings without a Cullum Number indicate that the person was not a graduate of the United States Military Academy.
The original Fort Miller blockhouse was relocated in 1944 to Roeding Park in Fresno when the Friant Dam was completed and the original site was covered with water. The City of Fresno has leased some of Roeding Park to non-profit organizations and the blockhouse was relocated back to the Friant area. The Table Mountain Rancheria Band of Indians appears to have control of the original blockhouse remains and may be planning to make it part of a museum or interpretative center. Location .
Location: Originally located beside the San Joaquin River in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas in Fresno County, California. The original site is now covered by Millerton Lake in back of the Friant Dam.
Maps & Images
Lat: 37.015282 Long: -119.658333
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 78
Visited: 13 Aug 2009
Fort Miller Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!