|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Merrill (1850–1855) - A U.S. Army post established in 1850, by Captain Samuel M. Plummer and companies H and K of the 1st U.S. Infantry and named after Captain Moses E. Merrill, who was killed 8 Sep 1847 at the Battle of Molino del Rey during the Mexican War. Abandoned in 1855.
Fort Merrill History
The post was built out as a two company open plan fort with a single large 16' by 80' enlisted barracks. The barracks had two 16' by 40' rooms for the enlisted troops. There were four officer quarters, one of which was designated as the commanders quarters. Other major buildings included a hospital, adjutants office, blacksmith shop, quartermaster buildings and a corral.
The post was abandoned on 1 Dec 1855.
The site is on private property and not open to the public. Ruins only, a marker is said to be located south of the site on FM 534 about 3.5 miles northwest of Dinero in Live Oak County, Texas. The marker was not located.
Location: Approximately three miles northwest of Dinero in Live Oak County, Texas.
Maps & Images
Lat: 28.2591 Long: -98.0108
- Frazer, Robert W., Forts of the West, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman OK, 1965, ISBN 0-8061-1250-6, page 156
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, Page 164
Visited: Locale 30 Nov 2011
Fort Merrill Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!