Fort McNab

From FortWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Fort McNab (1889-1960) - A Canadian coastal fort established in 1888 on NcNab Island, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Abandoned in 1960.

Fort McNab History

Part of the Harbor Defense of Halifax.

Construction on Fort McNab began in 1889 for the first breach loaded gun batteries defending Halifax Harbor. One of the first buildings was a seven casemate building to house the troops and provide support services. Three gun emplacement were constructed, one for a 10" Breach Loaded (BL) gun and two for 6" BL guns. The 10" gun was landed 8 Dec 1890. The gun batteries were upgraded in 1903-1906 to add another 6" emplacement and add shell hoists to the original one. A 9.2" BL gun emplacement was added during this period. The original 10" BL gun emplacement was abandoned in 1911.

After World War I the fort was closed down in 1919 and effectively mothballed in 1932.

The post was reactivate in 1939 as World War II began and a new Battery Command Post was constructed 1940-1941. During World War II the 9.2" BL gun emplacement was abandoned and the gun shipped to Devils Point Battery in 1942. A Radar facility was built into the abandoned 9.2" gun emplacement in 1945.

The Fort was deactivate after the end of the war in 1945 but reactivated again in 1948 as the Cold War began. In 1953 a 4" Navy gun was emplaced in gun emplacement #2. Fort McNab was decommissioned in January 1960.

In 1965 Fort McNab was designated National Historic Site of Canada. The original 10" BL gun has been relocated back to its original emplacement (minus the carriage) and a 6" MK VII gun on a MK II mount was relocated from Fort Ogilvie to gun emplacement #1.


Fort McNab (edit list)
Facility Dates Description Notes
Gun Emplacement #1, Magazine and Crew Shelter 1888-1892-1960 Modified in 1903-1906 Hoist Enlarged
Gun Emplacement #2, Magazine and Crew Shelter 1903-1906-1956 Modified in 1938 & 1953 for new guns
Gun Emplacement #3 , Magazine and Crew Shelter 1888-1892-1911 10" BL Gun, abandoned 1911 Central pivot mount
Gun Emplacement #4 , Magazine and Crew Shelter 1903-1906-1942 9.2" BL Gun, abandoned 1942 Radar Site added 1944
Casemates 1888-1892-1956 Seven Casemate Building
Battery Command Post 1940-1960 Command Center
Oil Stores and Artificers Shop 1906-1960 Only brick building
Searchlight Emplacement Building 6 1940-1960 Searchlight #16
Searchlight Emplacement #17 1940-1960 Searchlight #17
Searchlight Emplacement #15 1940-1960 Searchlight #15
Searchlight Emplacement #14 1940-1960 Searchlight #14

Current Status

Fort McNab National Historic Site on NcNab Island, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, Canada. Two display guns, one 10" gun on a display mount and one 6" gun on a period mount.


Location: Fort McNab National Historic Site on NcNab Island, Halifax County, Nova Scotia, Canada

Maps & Images

Lat: 44.59999 Long: -63.51526

Sources:

Links:

Visited: No


Personal tools
Namespaces

Variants
Actions
content
Share
Google AdSense
Toolbox