Fort McLane (1)
Fort McLane (1) (1860-1864) - A U.S. Army Fort first established as Camp Wheeler (1) in 1860 near Hurley, Grant County, New Mexico. Renamed 1 Dec 1860 as Fort Floyd after Secretary of War John B. Floyd. Renamed again Fort McLane 18 Jan 1861 after Captain George McLane when Floyd joined the Confederate side. Garrisoned by California Volunteers during the U.S. Civil War. Abandoned in 1864. Also Known as Fort Webster and Fort McLean.
History of Fort McLane
Abandoned by regular U.S. troops on 16 Sep 1860 and the garrison was removed to Fort Fillmore. The fort was reoccupied by the 1st California Volunteer Infantry and garrisoned intermittently until 1864
Archeological remains near Hurley, Grant County, New Mexico.