Fort McKavett (1852-1859)(1868-1883) - A U.S. Army post established by five companies of the 8th U.S. Infantry in March of 1852 to protect frontier settlers and travelers on Upper El Paso Road. First known as Camp San Saba, the camp was later renamed for Captain Henry McKavett (Cullum 773), killed at the battle of Monterey on 21 Sep 1846. The fort was abandoned in March 1859 and reoccupied April 1868. Finally abandoned in 1883.
Fort McKavett History
Much of the post was in ruins when Fort McKavett reopened in 1868, and the troops lived in tents for the next year or two while the facilities were rebuilt under the command of General Ranald S. Mackenzie. The completed fort had four barracks, twelve officers' quarters, a magazine, a hospital, a guardhouse, a bakery, two storehouses, a post office, three stables, a headquarters building, a forage house, and a thirty-acre garden. Supplies for the fort were hauled by wagon from San Antonio.
First Sergeant Emanuel Stance of the 9th U.S. Cavalry, stationed at Fort McKavett in 1868, was the first African American to receive the Medal of Honor in the Indian Wars. By the close of the Indian Wars, ten more Medals of Honor were awarded to Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th U.S. Cavalry.
By 1880, the fort was no longer needed and it was abandoned 30 Jun 1883.
Fort McKavett was once called by General William T. Sherman "the prettiest post in Texas."
Fort McKavett State Historical Park opened in 1968, and many of the buildings were acquired by the state and restored. Must see.
Visited: 9 Nov 2009