|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort McDermit (1865-1889) - A U.S. Civil War fort established as Quinn River Camp No. 33 in 1865 by Captain J.C. Doughty and elements of the 2nd California Volunteer Cavalry in present day McDermitt, Humboldt County, Nevada. Renamed Camp McDermit after Lt. Colonel Charles McDermit, Commander of the Nevada Military District, who was killed 7 Aug 1865 by hostile Indians. Designated Fort McDermit 15 Apr 1879. Abandoned in 1888 and turned over to the Interior Department in 1889.
Fort McDermit History
A U.S. Civil War fort established as Quinn River Camp No. 33 on 14 Aug 1865 by Captain J.C. Doughty and elements of the 2nd California Volunteer Cavalry. The post was established to control some 2000 hostile Paiute Indians and to guard travel routes north into nearby Oregon. The post was built with a 660 foot by 225 foot central parade surrounded by the post buildings. The garrison participated in the 1878 Bannock Indian War.
The post was abandoned on 1 Dec 1888 and turned over to the Interior Department on 24 Jul 1889.
Some buildings remain on the Fort McDermit Indian Agency, Humboldt County, Nevada.
Location: Fort McDermit Indian Agency, Humboldt County, Nevada.
Maps & Images
Lat: 41.972183 Long: -117.622318
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 492
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 93
Fort McDermit Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!