Fort McCulloch (1862-1865) - A Confederate U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1862 near present day Kenefic, Bryan County, Oklahoma. Named Fort McCulloch after Brigadier General Ben McCulloch, CSA, who was killed at the Battle of Pea Ridge on 7 Mar 1862. The fort remained in Confederate hands throughout the war. Abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
History of Fort McCulloch
A large star shaped earthwork fort established early in 1862 by General Albert Pike, CSA. The fort was located on the west bank of the Blue River north of present day Durant in Bryan County. Designed as a five-pointed earthworks star garrisoned by 3,000 troops and mounting 18 cannons. The garrison was quartered in tents and consisted of Choctaw, Chickasaw, Arkansas and Texas military troops.
The fort was never attacked by Union forces during the war and was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
On private property, some earthworks remains.
Location: Southwest of Kenefic in Bryan County, Oklahoma.
Maps & Images
Lat: 34.02899 Long: -96.32218
- Hart, Herbert M., Tour Guide to Old Western Forts, Pruett Publishing Co., Boulder CO, 1980, ISBN 0-87108-568-2, page 124-125
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 655
- USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry: 2460972
- North American Forts - Fort McCulloch
- Wikipedia - Fort McCulloch
- Civil War Album - Fort McCulloch
- School of Choctaw Language - For McCulloch