Fort McCook (2)
Fort McCook (2) (1862-1864) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort established in 1862 near South Pittsburg, Marion County, Tennessee. Named Fort McCook after Union General Alexander McCook. Captured by Confederates in 1862 and renamed Fort Maxey after Confederate General Samuel B. Maxey who captured the fort. Abandoned in 1862 but reoccupied by Union forces during the Chickamauga campaign and known as Fort Thomas. Abandoned in 1864.
History of Fort McCook
On 27 Aug 1862, Confederate General Samuel B. Maxey crossed the Tennessee River at Bridgeport and moved on Fort McCook. General Maxey placed his artillery opposite the fort and opened fire. The Federals withdrew from the fort that night.
Visited: 29 Apr 2016