Fort Maurepas (2)
Fort Maurepas (2) (1734-1737) - A French fur trading fort established in 1734 for Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye near Selkirk, Manitoba. Named Fort Maurepas after Jean-Frédéric Phélypeaux, Count of Maurepas, French Minister of Marine. Probably abandoned in 1837 and moved in 1739, see Fort Maurepas (3).
History of Fort Maurepas
Pierre Gaultier de Varennes, sieur de La Vérendrye sent his son Jean-Baptiste and Sieur Cartier, a merchant, with 12 men in 3 canoes to build a fort on the Red River above present day Selkirk, Manitoba. The fort was known Fort Maurepas, the site has not been positively identified but some sources say it was located at Nettley Creek on the Red River.
In 1735 the fort produced 600 packages of furs. La Vérendrye arrived in February 1737 to meet with the local tribe. In May of 1737 it was reported that all the Indians at the fort had died of small pox. By the end of 1739 the fort was abandoned in favor of a location across the peninsula along the Winnipeg river. That location is currently on the Sagkeeng First Nations Reserve. See Fort Maurepas (3).
Site not positively identified.