Fort Massey (1776-Unknown) - A British Colonial Fort established in 1776 during the U.S. Revolutionary War in present day Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Enlarged in 1782. Named for British General Eyre Massey. Abandoned sometime after the War of 1812.
Part of the Harbor Defense of Halifax.
Revolutionary War (1775-1783)
Erected between 1776 and 1878 on what was then known as windmill hill at the present day intersection of Queen and South Streets. Built to command a deep hollow formed by Freshwater Brook. This area was sheltered from the guns of the Citadel and could provide shelter for attackers.
"Fort Massey was enlarged in the Spring of 1782. It was then 320' and 170' in greatest width, lying in a northwest and southeast position, and consisted of two semi-circular works, one at each end, connected by an obtuse redan on each side, all of earth and fascines, with a ditch and bridge. In the southeast circular end was an octagonal blockhouse of keep resembling the one at the Citadel, and capable of accommodating thirty men. There was also accommodation for 100 men (two companies) in two or three barracks buildings. Ten 24-pounders, three 12-pounders and four small mortars were mounted in the work. Some of the guns were in the southwest redan, and six in the southwest circular part."
In 1784 the barracks capacity of Fort Massey was shown to be 100 men.
War of 1812 (1812-1815)
Still in use 1 Jul 1812 with a slight wooden magazine built by General Qgilvie when commanding in 1793.
Probably abandoned sometime after the end of the War of 1812.
No remains. The site is now Fort Massey Cemetery.
Visited: 24 Jun 2013