Fort Manti (1854-18??) - A large Mormon settler fort established during the Walker Indian War in 1854 to replace two smaller forts in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah. Abandoned as a fortification after hostilities.
History of Fort Manti
Established in 1854 at the request of Brigham Young as the largest of three forts constructed in Manti, Sanpete County, Utah. The two earlier forts known as the "Manti Little Stone Fort" and "Manti Log Fort" were replaced with this nine square block fort which included the site of the Manti Little Stone Fort. The new larger fort was built in the center of town to protect against hostile Indian attacks during the Walker Indian War (1853-1854).
The fort was built as a protective wall surrounding a nine block area in the center of town. The wall itself was built eight feet high of stone and adobe and measured three feet thick at the base and eighteen inches at the top.
Probably abandoned as a fortification after the end of hostilities
Marker only at 2 South Main Street, Manti, Sanpete County, Utah.