Fort Mansfield (2)
Fort Mansfield (2) (1861-1865) - A Union U.S. Civil War Fort first established in 1861 in Montgomery County, Maryland. Named Fort Mansfield (1), 7 Jan 1863, after Brigadier General Joseph K.F. Mansfield, who died 18 Sep 1862 of wounds received at the battle of Antietam. Fort abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
Established in 1861 as a "two considerable redoubts and an external battery connected by a substantial rifle-pit." The fort had a perimeter of 220 yards and emplacements for 11 guns.
A 17 May 1864 report from the Union Inspector of Artillery noted the following: "Fort Mansfield (1), Lieut. Col. Thomas H. Talbot commanding.–Garrison, two companies(Third Battalion) First Maine Heavy Artillery–9 commissioned officers, 1 ordnance-sergeant, 281 men. Armament, two 12-pounder howitzers, four 6-pounder James (rifled), one 8-inch siege howitzer, four 4_-inch (rifled). Magazines, one; dry and in good order. Ammunition, full supply and serviceable. Implements, full sets and serviceable. Drill in artillery, fair. Drill in infantry, fair. Discipline, fair. Garrison is of sufficient strength."
The fort was abandoned in 1865 at the end of the war.
No remains, no markers.