Fort Manhassett (1863-1865) - A Confederate earthworks fort established in 1863 by Major Julius Kellersberg, CSA, west of Sabine Pass, Jefferson County, Texas. Abandoned in 1865.
A series of earthworks built in October 1863 to protect a possible landing site for invading Union Troops. The fort was built out as a series of three redoubts and two redans. Armament in 1863 consisted of 2-32 pounder howitzers in redoubt A. Redoubts A and B each had three gun platforms, redoubt C was unfinished in 1863. The post was garrisoned by up to 500 men.
Marker and signs of earthworks remain. Private property seven miles west of Sabine Pass, Jefferson County, Texas