Fort Madawaska (1841-1847) - A British colonial militia post established in 1841 during the Aroostook War in present day Edmundston, Madawaska County, New Brunswick, Canada. Abandoned in 1847 and hit by lightning and burned down in 1855. Also known as Petit Sault Blockhouse and Fort Petit Sault.
Fort Madawaska History
Established during the Aroostook War in 1841 on a hilltop overlooking the strategic confluence of the Madawaska River and Saint John River at present day Edmundston. The post consisted of a stockaded blockhouse with room for a garrison of one officer and 50 men.
The blockhouse was a three story structure with the first floor built of stone and the upper two floors of squared timbers. The top floor was placed at an angle to the lower two floors and equipped with defensive down facing gun ports. The top floor also had ports for four cannons.
The Aroostook War ended in 1842 with the signing of the Webster-Ashburton Treaty settling the boundary dispute between America and British Canada. The blockhouse was hit by lightning in 1855 and burned down.
Replica Blockhouse constructed on the original site in 2001, Edmundston, Madawaska County, New Brunswick, Canada. The replica blockhouse houses a museum, artifacts and displays from the period. On the top floor is a period mounted cannon.
Visited: 13 Jul 2013