Fort Lookout (4)
Fort Lookout (4) (1856-1857) - A U.S. Army Fort established in 1856 by Captain Nathaniel Lyon, 2nd U.S. Infantry, along the west bank of the Missouri River in present day Lyman County, South Dakota. Abandoned in 1857.
Fort Lookout (4) History
Established by Captain Nathaniel Lyon, 2nd U.S. Infantry, 31 Jul 1856 at the direction of Colonel William S. Harney, 2nd U.S. Dragoons. The post was sited very near to the site of Fort Lookout (2) and took its name from that fort.
Built as a large open plan fort with a long 1/4 mile parade with barracks lining both long sides. On the short sides, three officer's quarters were at one end, on the other end was the headquarters and guardhouse.
Dismantled and abandoned 17 Jun 1857.
Marker at entrance to Lower Brule Indian Reservation near Reliance, Lyman County, South Dakota
Fort Lookout (4) Picture Gallery