Fort Logan (2)
Fort Logan (2) (1887-1946) - First established in 1887 by Captain Lafayette E. Campbell as Fort Sheridan after Lieutenant General Philip H. Sheridan in Denver County, Colorado. Officially named Fort Logan, 5 Apr 1889, after Major General John A. Logan, U.S. Civil War veteran and politician. The post was abandoned by the U.S. Army in 1946.
Fort Logan (2) History
Fort Logan was first established 31 Oct 1887 under the supervision of Captain Lafayette E. Campbell, U.S. Quartermaster Corps, on land provided by the State of Colorado near the City of Denver in Denver County, Colorado. The site was chosen by Lieutenant General Philip Sheridan. Ground was broken for the permanent post on 25 Jul 1888 and officially named on 5 Apr 1889.
During World War I Fort Logan served as receiving and processing station for new recruits and later became a processing center for new ROTC officers. On 9 Dec 1939 Fort Logan became a sub post of the Army Air Corps Lowry Field. During World War II the post again served as a processing and training center. After the War, Fort Logan served as a separation center until it closed in 1946.
Fort Logan was closed by the U.S. Army on 15 Aug 1946 but a V.A. Hospital was maintained on the grounds from 1946 to 1951. The U.S. Government deeded the property back to the State of Colorado The Colorado Fort Logan Mental Health Center opened 17 Jul 1961 and operates now as Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan.
Part of the Colorado Mental Health Institute at Fort Logan, Denver County, Colorado. Many of the original post buildings remain, especially the officer's quarters on officer's row. Building 3742 is being operated as a museum by the Friends of Historic Fort Logan. This building was a field grade officer's quarters and the first commander's quarters. Several NCO quarters also remain and a great example of a period flagpole. Fort Logan National Cemetery adjoins the state hospital.
Visited: 30 Sep 2011