Fort Lincoln (2)
|Fort Calendar||Fort Blogs||
Fort Lincoln (2) (1861-1865) - First established in 1861 as a part of the Defense of Washington DC during the U.S. Civil War. Named after President Abraham Lincoln. Abandoned in 1865 after the end of the war.
Fort Lincoln (2) History
Established to protect the B & O Railroad and the Baltimore Turnpike on the eastern edge of the District of Columbia.
Fort Lincoln was a bastioned fort with four faces that mounted one 100 pounder Parrott and four 20 pounder Parrott guns as well as a number of other major pieces of artillery.
On the grounds of the Fort Lincoln Park.
USGS Geographic Names Information System (GNIS) Database Entry:
- Name: Fort Lincoln Type: Historical Class: Military ID: 2458367
- Location: District of Columbia, District of Columbia, US, FIPS Code: 11001
- Latitude: 38.9267, Longitude: -76.9565, Elevation: 184 Map: Washington East
- As Of: 27 Jun 2008
- Source: U.S. Board on Geographic Names
Location: Fort Lincoln Park, Washington DC.
Maps & Images
Lat: 38.92591 Long: -76.95837
- Roberts, Robert B., Encyclopedia of Historic Forts: The Military, Pioneer, and Trading Posts of the United States, Macmillan, New York, 1988, 10th printing, ISBN 0-02-926880-X, page 137
Visited: 25 May 2013
Fort Lincoln (2) Picture Gallery
Click on the picture to see a larger version. Contribute additional pictures - the more the better!