Fort Lewis (5)
Fort Lewis (5) (1756-1763) - A small stockade established by 1756 during the French & Indian War. Built by Captain Charles Lewis in present day Bath County, Virginia. Abandoned as a fortification in 1763.
French & Indian War (1754-1763)
Built as a small stockade to protect the strategic western end of the Shenandoah Mountain pass from hostile Indians. One of a series of fortifications authorized by the Virginia Colonial General Assembly along the frontier during the French & Indian War. Captain Lewis initially acquired the 950 acres along the Cowpasture River by deed from his father, John Lewis. The fort site was included in that property. After the war, Charles Lewis married and built a manor house beside the fort site. The remains of the fort remained visible up until the early 1900s.
Marker only in Bath County, Virginia.
Visited: 8 Apr 2012