Fort Leslie (1813-1814) - A Creek Indian War Fort established in 1813 near Talladega, Talladega County, Alabama. Named Fort Leslie after Alexander Leslie Jr.. Abandoned as a fortification in 1814. Also known as Leslie's Station, Leslie's Post, Fort Lashley, and Lashley's Fort.
History of Fort Leslie
Established in the fall of 1813 by Alexander Leslie, Jr., a half blood Creek Indian, who built the fort around his home. The site was located about a mile from Talladega's present day Court Square, on a knoll about 400 feet east of Fort Lashley Avenue, Hwy 21.
In November 1813, a number of non-hostile Creeks sought refuge in Fort Lashley, which then was surrounded by some 1,000 hostile Red Sticks Creeks, who demanded their surrender. When General Andrew Jackson was informed of the situation he assembled an army of 1,200 infantry and 800 cavalry who surrounded the hostiles on 9 Nov 1813. The Battle of Talladega casualties were 15 militiamen killed and about 299 Red Sticks killed.
Abandoned as a fortification in 1814.
Marker for the Battle at the intersection of East Battle Street and Court Street North, Talladega, AL
There is a memorial park at the corner of West Battle Street and South Spring Street with several plaques and markers that outline the Battle of Talladega and the role of Fort Leslie.
Visited: 23 Apr 2016